If it is your intention to live in Portugal for longer than 3 months and you are a citizen of the EU, Switzerland, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Andorra, you will need a certificate of registration to formalize your stay in Portugal. For as long as the UK is part of the EU, this applies to UK citizens as well.

The website  http://www.sef.pt/portal/v10/PT/aspx/apoioCliente/detalheApoio.aspx?fromIndex=0&id_Linha=4351 with an  English option, is very useful.

You must apply for this certificate within 30 days after the expiry of the original 3 months’ period of residence in Portugal.

The town council offices where you reside will provide you with such a certificate upon payment of a fee (as at July 2016, €15-00). In Cascais, the Loja de Cascais in Rua Manuel Joaquim Avelar, nº 118, in the same building as the main Post Office (level -1), will issue the certificate of residence.

The following documents must be produced:

  • Citizen card or a valid passport
  • Your fiscal number
  • An affidavit stating that you are working in Portugal or are self-employed.


  • An affidavit or proof that you have sufficient means for you and family to live in Portugal, alternatively, proof of a bank account in Portugal.
  • Proof of medical aid/health insurance if your country of origin requires such from Portuguese citizens

Family members will also need certificates of residence. If they are EU citizens or citizens of Switzerland, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and  Andorra, they will need to produce the following:

  • ID document or valid passport
  • Document proving the family relationship such as a marriage or birth certificate. If such relationship is not evident from the person’s ID document or passport, they need an affidavit from a citizen of good standing in the town where you previously lived.
  • Your own certificate of registration residence in Portugal and fiscal number

If those accompanying you are over 21 years such as direct descendants over 21 years or direct ascendants(parents/grandparents, proof that you are still responsible for them is required.  If they are not directly related to you, you need to provide a certificate from your own country (or country in which you previously lived), stating that you are responsible for the person concerned and you need to justify why the person must live under the same roof as you.

This will be your first step to becoming a full resident in Portugal. After 5 years you will have to apply for a permanent residence.

Good luck


Tags: Cascais | Certificate of EU citizen registration | Loja do Cidadão

IWP Dolphin viewing trip

July 20, 2015 | Text: Caroline Will Photos: Marsha Turner, José Rio

On 16th July, twenty-six IWP members, associates and two grandsons enjoyed a spectacular dolphin-watching trip, passing through the Sado Estuary and out into the Atlantic…
Read more
IWP Tour of Évora and its Megalith Sites: October 20th 2015

October 28, 2016 | Text: Caroline Will Photos: Maggie Martinho

Departing by coach from Cascais at 9am and returning at 9pm, IWP members and guests recently enjoyed a fun and fact-filled tour of Évora and…
Read more